Current metadata standards (DC, LOM, MPEG, ...) are all based on early work inn the mid 1990's.
In the mean time, technology has advanced and some or many of the assumptions that held 17 years ago may no longer be so relevant...
That doesn't detract from the huge success that these standards have realised: there are probably many millions of DC, LOM or MPEG instances. Yet, there is probably orders of magnitude more metadata that does not conform to these standards. And, the interoperability between the DC, LOM and MPEG world remains quite complex. Consequently, their application domains remain too disconnected.
In this workshop, we will reconsider how metadata could be generated, managed and put to use. We believe that the current standards and technologies will remain dominant for at least 3 to 5 years. The workshop will consider a longer-term perspective, and consider approaches, paradigmas, techniques and technologies that could enable a more unified, flexible, modular and versatile metadata world in 2010 and beyond.
Date: 7 February 2008
- 09h30: Introduction, background and goal (Erik Duval)
- setting the scene
- 10h00: wayne hodgins
- 10h45: Stu Weibel (by video conference)
- 11h30: Martin Wolpers
- 12h15: Herbert Van de Sompel
- 13h00 lunch
- 13h30: Mohamed Amine Chatti ALOA - A Web Services Driven Framework for Automatic Learning Object Annotation
- 14h15: Tom Boyle
- 15h00: Martin Memmel: ALOE - Combining User Generated Content and Traditional Metadata
- 15h45: Dan Rehak (by video conference)
- 16h30: wrapping up (Erik Duval)
- Herbert Van de Sompel: ORE presentation (not given at workshop)
- Dan Rehak: video 1 original-develop-to-deposit-avi-fast.avi
- Dan Rehak: video 2 revised-develop-to-deposit-avi-fast.avi
- Dan Rehak: presentation presentation
- Martin Memmel: slides
- Stuart Weibel: presentation
- Martin Wolpers: presentation
- Mohamed Amine Chatti: presentation
- Tom Boyle: videoclip
- Tom Boyle: presentation
The meeting will take place at the department of computer science of the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Celestijnenlaan 200A, 3001 Heverlee, Belgium. Leuven is a 20 min taxi ride from Brussels airport - it takes about as long to get to the center of Brussels :-) There is more information about “how to get there”.
In order to deal with the logistics involved, we kindly ask you to send an email to erik duval if you plan to participate. We will provide sandwich lunch and coffee and would appreciate your financial support in the form of 25 euros or US dollars
The replay of the workshop over flashmeeting can be seen here:
9:30 to 13:00 at http://flashmeeting.open.ac.uk/fm/memo.php?pwd=4386ad-11896 13:30 to 17:00 at http://flashmeeting.open.ac.uk/fm/memo.php?pwd=48be7f-11897
More info about the flashmeeting tool is available. The tool only requires a browser for remote participants...
Let us know if you would be interested in attending remotely.
A list of hotels is available. The venue is a 30 minute walk, or a 5 min taxi ride from Leuven city centre.
You can find the photos here: Flickr metadata v2.0 workshop set.